Sunday, December 11, 2011

The Ugly Christmas Sweater

Can't get enough of the Ugly Christmas Sweater. Said sweater is so Americana and hilarious. In a product category of its own the Ugly Christmas Sweater has made itself a staple. I wanted to develop a modern take on this icon so I began looking for inspiration. I found what I was looking for in braces or suspenders featured in a vintage Esquire Magazine from the late 1920's. They were marketed as Art Elastic by Hickok.


A combination of using applique, which often comes off as hideous, AND manipulating the yarn dyes is what I was thinking to create a modern take on the Ugly Christmas Sweater. Keeping in mind multiple construction techniques [i.e. applique, knit] and atrocious color ways have geared these swearers to the backs of teachers and librarians.


Modern styling and fit updates.



[Below] Graphic renderings of the art findings.